Chris and I both love mashed potatoes. We’ll eat them along side a green salad for dinner or with grilled fish or sausages. We even put leftovers inside grilled paninis with roasted chicken, mustard and tomatoes. This recipe for Cauliflower and Potato Mash with Parmesan is so delicious you will want plenty of leftovers.
We try to eat lots of vegetables, so anytime I can creatively add more to my diet in a delicious way is exciting. Cauliflower’s color and mild flavor makes it a perfect companion to mash with potatoes. You can boil the potatoes at the same time you steam the cauliflower because they both take about the same amount of time to cook.
Nutritionally, this dish is excellent. Yellow potatoes are rich in vitamin C and fiber. Cauliflower is a member of the brassica (cabbage) family which is shown to have cancer fighting properties, especially for lung, colon, and stomach cancers. It’s also rich in minerals potassium, magnesium, and manganese, as well as B vitamins, vitamin C, and fiber.
- 4 Yellow Potatoes - peeled and quartered
- ½ head of Cauliflower
- 3 tbsp Butter (pastured or grass-fed if you can find it)
- ¼ cup Milk
- handful of Parsley - roughly chopped
- 2 to 3 tbsp of freshly grated Parmesan Cheese
- Place peeled and quartered potatoes in a medium pot and bring to a boil.
- Bring another pot with a few inches of water to boil, add steamer basket with cauliflower and cover.
- Boil potatoes until you can easily insert a knife through them - about 10 to 15min.
- Steam cauliflower until tender (knife test) - about 10min.
- Drain potatoes, and place them back in the pot with cauliflower, butter, milk and sea salt.
- Use a handheld potato masher or electric mixer to blend until smooth.
- Add parmesan cheese and parsley and stir to combine.